Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Just for Christine



One of my best friends turned me on to this wine. It's called Eiswein, or in english, "Ice Wine." This is taken from wiki:
Icewine (or ice wine or, in German, Eiswein) is a type of dessert wine produced from grapes that have been frozen while still on the vine. The sugars and other dissolved solids do not freeze, but the water does, so the result is a concentrated, often very sweet wine. In the case of ice wines, the freezing happens before the fermentation, not afterwards. Unlike the grapes from which other dessert wines, such as Sauternes, Tokaji, or Trockenbeerenauslese, are made, ice wine grapes should not be affected by Botrytis cinerea or noble rot. Only healthy grapes keep in good shape until the opportunity for ice wine harvest, which may be in the next calendar year. This gives ice wine its characteristic refreshing sweetness balanced by high acidity. When the grapes are free of Botrytis, they are said to come in "clean".
I am by no means a drinker. I lost the taste for it after I turned 21. Go figure. I sampled some at a Bazaar, and yumm-o. It is really, really sweet. The lady told me it's more of a dessert wine. Well Josh brought me home a bottle of it. It is by no mean cheap. 25 Euros for this particular bottle.
AND, apparently a bottle of Absinthe is making our way to our house too. lol.
No it is not illegal (here anyways). The US is the only major country banning it, but apparently that is going to change soon. Absinthe is a strong-herbal liquor distilled with wormwood and anise. It can contains other aromatic herbs like star anise, anise seed, fennel, licorice, hyssop, veronica, lemon balm, angelica root, dittany, coriander, juniper, and nutmeg.
So it's going to taste alot like licorice, which I'm not a big fan of. I'm sure there will be pics up tomorrow of it though. :)
xoxo

5 comments:

Chemical Robotiks said...

ice wine is awesome

Holly said...

Oh, yum! Now, I'm going to have to go on a hunt for some of that wine! I'm not a big drinker, but I always love a good glass of wine. Let me know what you think of the Absinthe. My dad brought some home a couple years ago. I thought it was DISGUSTING! I don't like licorice anway, but I thought it was even WORSE than licorice. Blech!

Christine said...

Man, you scared me. I thought that bottle was for me and then I got all excited.... then I read on and found out it was for you. HAHAHA >:o

Unknown said...

My hubby has been wanting some Absinthe for years lol! I hate licorice so im right there with ya. Im not a wine drinker but ill try anything once lol!

Unknown said...

this looks yummy! love me some wine..i'll have to try some ice wine. I've heard a lot about it!